Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Ash Wednesday


One of the reasons I love denominational churches is we celebrate Ash Wednesday and Lent. This is a day when we remember .

Lent is a journey where we walk for 40 days towards Easter. It’s hard to appreciate and celebrate the resurrection without going through Lent. I don’t believe that Lent has to be a time where we give up something—like chocolate or TV or the Internet or Facebook (though I wouldn’t mind if my daughter gave up Facebook for Lent). I do believe that this is a time where we can be intentional on growing as a person related to God. God is working on us and through us. For 40 days we have an opportunity to be intentional about some part of our life and/or character in which we want to grow.

I encourage everyone to find a place to worship on Ash Wednesday. Tonight at Chain of Lakes we will gather at 6:30 p.m. The theme of our service is “Redefining Temptation.” We will talk about what temptation means, we’ll watch a video, we’ll receive ashes and Communion. Every person will have the opportunity to spend time praying about our journey of Lent. Child care will be available.

Start the journey towards Easter by worshipping on Ash Wednesday. I’m proud that Presbyterians and other denominations share this worship opportunity with the community.

No comments: