Monday, December 16, 2013

Happy Birthday, Hannah Louise Moore!

Thirteen years ago today at 10:38 a.m. a very special girl came into the world.  She arrived nine days later than the due date the doctors set, so a part of me wondered if she would ever come.  But during one of the coldest days of the coldest Decembers of this century, Hannah Louise Moore arrived.
 
She walked out of her room this morning with a big smile on her face.  “I’m a teenager,” she said proudly.   I’m not sure if I should yell “Yay, God” or scream in terror.  But in reality it doesn’t really matter.  Time marches on; Hannah is a teenager; today is her birthday; Happy Birthday, Hannah!
 
Whether we want it to or not, time does march on.  It does seem like just yesterday that I was holding this young baby in my arms at Rochester Methodist Hospital.  The task now is not to look backwards with sentimentality, but to continue to help her become the young woman that God desires for her to be.  Unfortunately my sage wisdom is not appreciated as much as in the past.  But as a good friend wrote on my Facebook page this morning, it does take a village to raise a child.  And I’m counting on that village to come through in these teenage years!
 
Happy Birthday, Hannah.  It’s a privilege to be your father.  Your mom and I love you more each year—all the way to Pluto and back.  I’m ready for the teenage ride!

No comments: