Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Happy Birthday, Hannah Moore!

What a privilege it is to be this now young woman's father.  Happy Birthday, Hannah Louise Moore.

Hannah was born in the middle of a snow storm at Rochester Methodist Hospital at 10:38 a.m. on December 16, 2000.  She was nine days late from her due date--and certainly worth the waiting.  The waiting reminds me of the Advent season--as we wait to celebrate the birth of our Savior.  I had moments when I didn't think she would ever arrive.  When the doctor held her up for the first time I actually couldn't believe she had finally arrived.

Hannah has grown into a tender, sweet, mature young woman.  She is fiercely protective of her friends.  Her phone is the vehicle of her connections, and its use reveals the intensity of her interactions.

One of my favorite memories of Hannah this last year was her last tennis match.  She had played doubles for the entire year, but for this last match her coach allowed her to play singles.  Hannah literally galloped over the court, running down shots with an ease that surprised all of us.  Her happiness beamed from her spirit; her light was shining.

After my heart surgery I'm planning on doing much more running with Hannah.  My goal is a half-marathon for 2016; I'll let Hannah choose her own goal.  Running besides a woman with long legs will not be easy--but it will be a pleasure and privilege that this father looks forward to savoring.

Happy 15th birthday, Hannah.  You literally bring joy to every day of our lives!

No comments: