Monday, March 11, 2019

The obsessions of the weather[man]




No one can live in Minnesota, or anywhere for that matter, without developing opinions and a relationship with the weather.  This past weekend the topic in the Twin Cities was the snow storm that was going to come, came, and then left.   The storm was the topic because of the incessant information that was blared from every media outlet. The weather forecasters had a field day.

The weather reveals our human desire for control. When I was young, weather seemed much simpler.  It could be described in one word phases—hot, cold, sun, rain, wind.  It didn’t seem that important to know much more.

And though I do believe in global warming, the weather hasn’t changed too much since I was young.  What has changed is the large amount of information and opinions about what is happening, and what I should do.   

Weather and knowing weather falls into our human need for control.  Already this morning I saw a weather forecaster share that we won’t have to endure snow next weekend.  That’s good—I think.  I’m still figuring out my schedule for today and haven’t put too much thought into next weekend.  Now I know it won’t snow. 

Weather forecasters seem to be on a crusade against the idea that “ignorance is bliss.”  When I was growing up I frequently found myself in a car in a snow storm.  I don’t remember if we knew that a storm was approaching.  And I don’t advocate for ignorance.  But weather forecasting seems to be more about tapping into human fear then giving information and letting the listener make decisions.  If I parented like weather forecasters share information, my daughter would be in permanent counseling.

It snowed this past weekend. Blaine received between five and six inches.  It came down hard on Saturday night and early Sunday.  Driving at times was treacherous.  How much more do I need to know?

Instead the weekend was about the impending storm.  At one point I heard a forecaster share the precise time when the rain was going to start and when the rain would turn to snow as if the storm was an advancing army ready to obliterate anyone in its wake.

I actually enjoy snow storms.  And the high amount of snow since the start of February has tempered my joy.  Since receiving information about weather is now more about judgment than poetry it’s hard to appreciate the beauty.

Weather can take our breath away in awe. All of us have had experiences of watching a cloud formation come in, or enjoying a practically perfect June day in Minnesota, or seeing the delight of a toddler in experiencing the first snow of the year. And when it is frigid most have taken boiling water and thrown it turn into snow.  Wow.

The takeaway that I'll still carry in six months about this past weekend's storm was the beautiful picture [shared above] that another person from Chain of Lakes sent me.

Now weather seems to be more about inducing fear and the performance of forecasters.

When it rained more than anticipated on Saturday, weather forecasters either didn’t tell us that they weren’t a hundred percent correct or blamed the weather for not performing as predicated.  One laugh I received this weekend when I read a tweet from a forecaster that the weather was underperforming. 

It doesn’t bother me that a forecaster wasn’t precise with what was going to happen.

And I will give forecasters the benefit of the doubt.  Weather can generate fear and fear generates interest and interest in forecasts can generate ratings and ratings generate money.  As part of the public, I know this.

Times do exist when the public needs to know precisely what is happening.  I need to know if a F4 tornado is coming; I need to know if a river has flooded and I need to find higher ground.   But the precise time when rain turns to snow and when the advancing storm will hit?

Taking one look at the piles of snow leads anyone who can breathe to know that flooding will be a concern this spring.  Already forecasters are placing the seed of fear that flooding will happen this spring.  

The information I want to know about flooding is this: the potential for flooding is high; be aware.  Statistics and percentages and exact dates when rivers crest might be important for some, but I don’t need to know.  And yes I can turn off the television and radio and not read articles on the Internet.  But it’s hard to escape.

When it comes to the weather I’m happy to know the facts—and as few as possible.  Don’t give me opinions.  Like the rest of the public I’m capable of forming my own.

Would you take a moment to subscribe to this blog?  Put your email in the box on the right hand side of this blog.  You'll be asked a few questions to ensure you are really a human being.  You'll then receive an email whenever a blog is posted

No comments: