Monday, July 3, 2023

What's more important--loving Jesus or loving America? Spiritual musings on July 4th

 

Every July 4th I read the Declaration of Independence. It’s easy to forget in all that happens around the 4th of July that this day is a a simple anniversary.  Two hundred forty-seven years ago, fifty-six white men signed this document that contained 1,323 words. Shorter in words than most sermons that were preached last Sunday, the document contains the basic political rights of the United States. It has the phrase that many people believe to be foundational to this country—that everyone has the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. 

I read the Declaration today as I do around every 4th of July. Much of the Declaration contains twenty-seven grievances against King George the III. 

It’s important to note the uniform gender and skin color of the signatories. Mary Katharine Goddard was authorized by Congress in January of 1777 to print the official copy of the Declaration. One draft carries the inscription: “Baltimore in Maryland Printed by Mary Katherine Goddard.” And though that is a beautiful story the reality is all fifty-six signatories were in Philadelphia were men; and all of the signatories were White. And the final draft of the Declaration did not mention slavery. Jefferson’s original rough draft condemned the slave trade as evil and condemned King George III for forcing it upon America. But unfortunately, that section was deleted in the final version. 

I wonder—without an opinion—how the history of America would have been different had that statement been included. 

I was captured by political philosophy when I attended Carleton college. I loved reading about what the great philosophers thought and wrote about the principles upon which the politics of countries should be based. 

Now I’m interested in how pastors relate to the State. Is it more important to say Jesus is Lord or to pledge my Allegiance to the flag? I can do both, of course. But if I was forced to make a decision, what would I do. Fortunately, I doubt I’ll ever be forced to make such a choice that would have life-or-death consequences.  

Not all pastors can say that. Dietrich Bonhoeffer was forced into hiding because he refused to support Adolph Hitler. He organized an underground seminary at Finkenwal that trained pastors who resisted Hitler. He eventually was arrested and put in prison. He eventually was murdered by the German authorities in a concentration camp. He acknowledged being a pacifist but was part of an effort that tried to kill Hitler.    

I love the United States and being a citizen of this country. I have the greatest respect for my step-son, Drew, for his military service in Iraq. Every July 4th I revel in the freedom that I have. Because of my gender and skin color I have privileges and freedoms that others haven’t. The ideal of America burns inside of me. And I want this ideal for all people. 

Much has been written lately about Christian Nationalism. The best book I’ve written was by Angela Denker called, “Red State Christians.” I read her emails and from one email came across an article that has a speech by Frederick Doulas called, “What to the Slave is the Fourth of July.” That is worth reading too on July 4th. The link is here: https://www.blackpast.org/african-american-history/speeches-african-american-history/1852-frederick-douglass-what-slave-fourth-july/?utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email

I'm willing to sing “God Bless America” as loud as anyone, but I don’t believe in divine destiny for a nation. My adherence to Jesus is much stronger than my adherence to our country. And though I would have no problem putting a flag in the Worship Center of Chain of Lakes, I support the strong separation of church and state. 

Pastors always live with the tensions of loving Jesus and loving country. I don’t claim to have the definite answers to these questions, but I do know who is first in my life.

I've committed to posting content every Monday. I guess the box on the right side of this blog is not receiving emails. However if you send an email to pastor@colpres.org, I'll make sure you know when new content is published. 

No comments: