Monday, September 9, 2024

Completing the circle in Los Angeles

Last week I had the privilege of spending time in Los Angeles—connecting with old friends, exploring the City, and being with Carleton football alums and parents as we watched the team play Pomona-Pitzer on Saturday night. 

This is more than a “this is what happened on my trip” blog. Going back to LA was significant to me as the place has a very important place in my journey. I lived there from August 1987 to August 1988 and then January 1990 to August 1990 when I worked as a full-time volunteer for the United Farm Workers. I’ve only been back once since I left.

Tom Journell, the outstanding coach of the Carleton football team, scheduled a game against Pomona Pitzer in Pomona this last Saturday, September 7. Many football alumni wanted to go. I talked the trip through with Amy as her birthday is September 7. She was fine with me going, so last Wednesday I boarded a Delta flight for LAX airport.

As soon as I got my car I wanted to see the home where I used to live. When I lived in Los Angeles the home was called the Harvard House. The house is on 1741 South Harvard Blvd. It’s etched into my brain. It’s a home with three bedrooms upstairs and a significant stairway that goes upstairs. We worked downstairs and shared the kitchen. I lived in community with anywhere from five to seven other people. The Harvard House has a special place in my heart. So I wanted to see it.


 

The next day I had the privilege of seeing Irv Hershenbaum and Jocelyn Sherman who still work for the farm workers. I worked with both of them during my second stint in Los Angeles. Irv and I worked on my campaigns together and Jocelyn did media work. I hadn’t seen him since Amy & my wedding in 2000 and Jocelyn since the early 90’s. Seeing them was a highlight.

 

Friday the focus of the trip turned to Carleton football. Steve Huffer was an All-American player for Carleton. I’ve gotten to know him in my work with the Carleton football alumni. We share an Airbnb with another football alum. Steve wanted to greet the team when they flew into LAX, so we drove from Pomona to the airport. The team had left the Twin Cities airport at around 3am that morning. They were glad to see us. 

The rest of the day was hanging out with football alums. I’ve shared often that Carleton football alums are some of the most interesting people to meet. They are intelligent and athletic, though they knew that they would never play football professionally. The ones I know are very committed (just like me) to the success of the program.

We’re still making the case to the Carleton administration about the importance of football to the school. To have intelligent people be successful in athletics is a combination that will make the school even more well known. A successful football program at Carleton will show that the school can be successful in both academics and athletics. This will help the school immensely. Not everyone believes this in the Carleton administration. No matter. We’ll keep making the case.

A large number of football alums and parents made the trip. We all had a tailgating party before the game on Saturday night where over a hundred fifty people came. The Carleton side of the field had twice as many fans as Pomona.

Unfortunately the team didn’t play well and Pomona beat Carleton 28-12. I was surprised. Carleton beat Pomona last year, and the team has 21 of 22 starters back. I figured if we won last year and the players are even better that we would win again. I was wrong.  

On Sunday I had the privilege of attending Brentwood Presbyterian church located near the UCLA campus. (bpcusa.org) The music was outstanding, and the preaching was very good. Unfortunately my mind was focused on getting to the airport as attending worship cut down on the time I had to make the gate. My anxiety was fueled when I couldn’t find the Budget rental car parking lot. The address was wrong on the information I was given from Budget. I ended up stopping the car and calling Budget.

“Making a flight” anxiety is the worst. 

But I made the flight and traveled back to Minnesota.

One more story will stay with me from the trip. As we landed a man shared with the flight attendant that he needed to use the restroom. His seat was directly behind the restroom and the flight attendant was facing him as she sat down. The flight attendant told the man that if he used the restroom while the plane was taxiing, the pilot would stop the plane. He used the restroom, the pilot stopped the plane. Many people on the flight had little time to make their connecting flights. The collective anxiety of the people on the plane increased. Someone banged loudly on the door of the restroom. For a short time I thought we might have a fight o the plane. He finally came out. The woman (not related) sitting next to him chewed him. He scurried off the plane quickly. 

Being in Los Angeles last week completed a circle that had been open for over thirty years. I don’t have a need now to go back. Seeing places and people who were important on my journey was very special.

No comments: