Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Ted Kennedy--brief thoughts

" We know the future will outlast all of us, but I believe that all of us will live on in the future we make." Ted Kennedy

I always admired Ted Kennedy from afar. If his life was a play it would have had so many different acts that the audience would have been exhausted by its immensity. You can see what I mean by reading these detailed accounts of his life:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/27/us/politics/27kennedy.html?_r=1&hp=&adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1251298841-YH HgfZorL2ok0rUXfcsUQ&pagewanted=all

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Kennedy#Marriage.2C_family.2C_and_early_career

Just in doing some brief reading I learned a new term— Rabelaisian figure. Look it up!

I’ve always appreciated the Kennedy family’s dedication to the poor. In my second stint in working for the farm worker movement I encountered this dedication. In the summer of 1988 Cesar Chavez fasted for 36 days to protest the use of pesticides on farm workers. The farm workers encouraged people to organize “fast chains” around the country. I was in seminary in New York City at the time and helped the farm worker office there organize fast chains in Manhatten. We had some events where Courtney & Kerry Kennedy would appear. The media would come and the work of the farm workers was furthered.

It’s interesting to me that one of Ted Kennedy’s best friends was Orrin Hatch. That such a conservative and liberal could be personal friends is encouraging to me. I pray that all of us can have at least one personal friend who disagrees with our political and religious philosophy.

No comments: