Friday, April 2, 2010

Easter at Chain of Lakes


Today the world stops to pause the worst event in the history of the world—the intentional murder of God. Despite the solemnity of this day, I can’t help but look forward to the celebration of the resurrection in two days.

At Chain of Lakes we have a wonderful Easter worship experience planned. I shared last night with the group who gathered at our Agape Feast that we at Chain of Lakes will be celebrating Easter every year until Jesus’ returns, whenever that is. But there is only one first celebration of Easter for a congregation. This Sunday is that day for us.

During worship we will celebrate the baptism of Bill Fink—the first baptism at Chain of Lakes is an adult baptism. We will enjoy listening to a trumpet play during our congregational singing. My daughter, Hannah, will be singing. And we will be celebrating Communion. I’ve worked all week on the Easter sermon that I’ve entitled, “17 words.”

If you are reading this blog, I encourage you to join us this Sunday. We will enjoy an Easter brunch at 9:45 a.m. and then worship at 10:30 a.m. at the Lino Lakes Senior Center, 1189 Main Street. Come eat at 9:45 and then stay to celebrate the resurrection. The day promises to be something that we will never forget!

2 comments:

Neal Lloyd said...

"Intentional killing of God"?!?! Did we really do that? Or, did we just go about our routine business of self-absorbed maintenance of self-serving, self-perceived power and comfort, doing what seemed necessary or profitable and incidentally kill God in the process? In which case, who will die today that in the end may turn out to have been our incarnation event? Hmmm???

Chainoflakesncd said...

I hate to debate parsing with a legal mind like yours, but I don't think that you would dispute that the killing was intentional. The religious leaders (and other leaders) of Jesus' day wanted Jesus dead. Now the people doing the killing of Jesus most likely did not believe that Jesus was God. No matter their belief about Jesus, the result was the same. Jesus was killed.

I don't think I can quite equate the "routine business of self-absorbed maintenance ..."--which I believe in and was beautifully put--as killing God. You wouldn't equate being self-absorbed, self-serving and maintaining self-perceived power as the same as killing God? I think God can be killed in that process, but for me it's not the same.

It's a matter of parsing.