Monday, December 3, 2018

A New Social Network--Parties for the Homeless


I’m guessing that I’m like most preachers in that Advent is one the hardest seasons to share a sermon.  The story of the birth of Jesus is one of the greatest stories that humans have been given.  Every time I peer into this story I’m touched that God would choose to enter the world in such a way. The setting wasn't one into which I would imagine the future Messiah would be born.  Assuming Luke and Matthew have it right, there were no other adults present when Jesus was born.  Mary was a teenager and not married.  Joseph had planned to divorce her before an angel showed up and told him to get married.  The two had walked about a hundred miles from Nazareth to Bethlehem.  They did this so Cesar and the invading Roman government could received a tax.  After Jesus was born he was placed in a manger or a feed trough. 

This was messy—and Jesus was born into the mess. 

The Advent question I always ask is what is going to change because the world has celebrated the birth of Jesus.  Will the lives of the followers of Jesus look more like the life that God calls us?  Will our spirits look more like the Fruit of the Spirit?  Will we be filled and grow in love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control?  Will the world look more like the Kingdom that God envisions?  Will there be fewer homeless people, will the poverty rate decrease, will nations give up their weapons, will there be fewer incidents of violence against women?

Okay I get it.  My expectations for the season are high.  And I’ve lived enough of these seasons to know that for much of the time the answer to the above questions is “no.”  Or even worse, the answer is an indifferent, “huh?”  Once Thanksgiving is done many are catapulted into the busiest and most stressful time of the year.  It’s doesn’t help that it is dark and cold.  Most of the time crossing off all that needs to be done on the “to-do” list makes the season a success.  Just making it through Christmas without adding too much more to our credit card debt or adding to our waist line or having a family fight makes the season a success.

But I still have hope.  And I still preach sermons with hope.

Yesterday at Chain of Lakes Church I started a new Advent sermon series called, “The Ultimate Social Network.” The sermon can be viewed at the following link: https://vimeo.com/304128199?fbclid=IwAR2IyYzCKWzJj6Vqpu7t3LCr_oqb19zNHhrPHX8PbkFpcNtJUYfzq9cSU  
In the sermon I shared that as soon as Jesus was born people started to be networked to him.  What’s most amazing to me is the first people who visited Jesus were the shepherds.  Living outdoors, a shepherd will go for extended periods of time without sleeping under a roof.  Watching the sheep, a shepherd will have to risk safety to repel an invader.  Making quick decisions, a shepherd will have to decide whether to risk the safety of the flock to go find a sheep who has gone astray.
           
In sharing the message of the birth of Jesus first with the shepherds I think we learn about the character of God.  There’s a morality to what God was doing. It is as if God was saying, “I have a special place in my heart for those who don’t have a roof over my head.  I have a special place in my heart for those who are vulnerable.  I have a special place in my heart for those who are struggling.  I chose to make my announcement to the shepherds.

Thousands of years later we know about these shepherds.  This is networking on the highest level.  That is the networking that God can do. 

I closed the sermon with a challenge which I’m encouraging you as a reader to accept.  I’m asking people to give $15 to HOPE 4 Youth for every Christmas party they attend before the end of the end of 2018.  The challenge is simple, but could make an impact on the lives of homeless youth in Anoka county.  I’ve started a Facebook page called, “Parties for the homeless.” If you have a moment, consider liking the page.  The link is here: https://www.facebook.com/Parties-for-the-Homeless-535340900314773/?modal=admin_todo_tour

Would you take the challenge?

I have no idea how much money could be raised for homeless youth in Anoka County. And to be honest, this was a spur-of-the-moment idea that came to me.  It would have been better if I had this idea two months ago and had more time to think through how to set this up.  But I’m willing to give the idea a try.  This preacher is always looking for new ways to share and live out the Christmas story.  This new social network could help change the world!

Would you take a moment to subscribe to this blog?  Put your email in the box on the right hand side of this blog.  You'll be asked a few questions to ensure you are really a human being.  You'll then receive an email whenever a blog is posted.

No comments: