Monday, July 8, 2019

I can still eat a rabbit and be a religious leader, right? Thoughts on kicking a church out over gay marriage


I spent last week traveling to Glacier National Park with my family, so didn’t have the opportunity to share my thoughts on the recent decision by the Evangelical Covenant Church  to kick out First Covenant Church in Minneapolis from the denomination and to revoke Rev. Dan Collison’s, pastor of the church, ordination in the denomination for celebrating a gay wedding in the church building. 

I hesitate to even write about another denomination's issues, but I identify myself as a pastor in the one church--one church with many denominations. So I can't help share my views as what happens in a congregation in another denomination matters to me. 

This action attracted plenty of attention as two articles in the Star Tribune each garnered almost 300 comments on the newspaper’s web site.  Those articles and comments can be found here: http://www.startribune.com/minnesota-pastor-faces-unprecedented-defrocking-because-of-lgbt-stance/511808592/   http://www.startribune.com/minneapolis-pastor-and-first-covenant-church-evicted-over-lgbt-stance/511979272/

A letter written by four leaders of the Evangelical Covenant Church about the decision can be found on the denomination’s web site: https://covchurch.org/news/letter-from-the-covenant-regarding-the-decisions-made-at-the-annual-meeting/

I’ve written about my beliefs about gay marriage in other parts of this blog. For those who don’t want to search through the blog, it’s worth knowing that the first wedding celebrated at Chain of Lakes was a marriage I officiated between two men—Chris Audet and Richard Garcia.

However I don’t intend to make the case in this particular blog about gay marriage. Instead I want to share my dismay that a denomination (in this case the Evangelical Covenant Church) would kick out a local congregation and revoke the ordination of a pastor over the issue of gay marriage.  To me this is an example of the excess of Subscriptionism. 

Subscriptionism—"what’s that?” you might ask.  Subscriptionism is a view that a person must subscribe to a certain set of beliefs in order to be part of a faith community or a denomination.  

In the 18th century American Presbyterians went through a rigorous debate about Subscriptionism. The history is worth knowing. These two web sites share a preliminary introduction to that history. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Dickinson_(New_Jersey) and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adopting_Act_of_1729

Put briefly, in the early 18th century Presbyterian pastors were required to subscribe to the Westminster Confession of Faith.  Jonathan Dickinson (who later became President of Princeton) argued that this put the Westminster Confession of Faith at the same level of Scripture. He helped pass the Adapting Act of 1729 which stated that candidates for ministry had to subscribe to the Westminster standards but could declare a scruple (a modern-day description of a scruple is a dissent) to the standards.  The governing body could then decide if the scruple was allowed.

Beliefs about God matter; theology matters; humans are always going to disagree about theological beliefs.

For me an individual’s or community’s belief about gay marriage doesn’t rise to the level of whether a person or a community of people can be part of a congregation or a denomination.

As many people in the comment section in response to the Star Tribune's stories noted, the Bible can be used to affirm almost any viewpoint. I’m reading through the Bible this year using Eugene Peterson’s Message translation.  This morning I read Deuteronomy 13-18.  In these chapters I read about stoning prophets who encourage people to follow other gods; I read instructions about not eating camels, rabbits, badgers or animals with a cloven hoof; I read about how financial debts should be canceled every seven years; I read about tithing; I read about principles that leaders need to follow when they judge people.  To the best of my knowledge none of these issues are splitting apart a denomination.  Yet there they are in the Bible.  I find these six chapters of Deuteronomy interesting, a bit bizarre, but they don’t diminish my own love for the Bible and what it teaches me as a follower of Jesus Christ.  Perhaps most importantly anyone can disagree about these issues and be leaders in a faith community. 

To the best of my knowledge no one’s ordination has been revoked for eating a rabbit.

For me the teachings of the Bible become authoritative when they are consistent with the life, death, resurrection and teachings of Jesus.

If Jesus magically walked into my house, I would bow down and worship him.  I would encourage other people to worship with me.  I highly doubt that he would refuse our worship based on our views of gay marriage.  I think some of the questions he might ask me are “Do you love me? Do you believe in me? Will you follow me?  Will you encourage others to love me and to love their neighbors as they love themselves? Will you teach others to believe in and follow me?”

At Chain of Lakes Church a person becomes a part of our congregation (we use the language of disciples and not the traditional language of members) by affirming that Jesus is Lord and Savior.  A person becomes an Elder or Deacon in the church by affirming nine constitutional questions.  The list of the questions can be found here: http://www.highlandpres.org/publications/OfficerInstallation.pdf. 

A person can believe in or be opposed to gay marriage and be part of Chain of Lakes Church.   We find our unity in saying that Jesus is Lord and Savior.  The strength of this unity is more important than other theological differences. 

My hope for the church universal is that we can continue to find strength in what unifies us and not be divided by our differences. 

I’m saddened by the actions of the Evangelical Covenant Church as I believe their action has made theological belief more important than the teachings of Jesus.

Would you take a moment to subscribe to this blog?  Put your email in the box on the right hand side of this blog.  You'll be asked a few questions to ensure you are really a human being.  You'll then receive an email whenever a blog is posted

No comments: