Tuesday, June 1, 2021

The ethics of vaccination

 

With COVID-19 vaccination rates slowing, an important story regarding COVID-19 is the public  incentives that are used to entice people to get vaccinated.  The question is this, “What are the ethics of financial incentives for vaccination?” 

It’s worth noting how effective the current vaccines are. Numbers vary, but the Pfizer vaccine has a 91 percent efficacy, Moderna is 90 percent, Johnson and Johnson is 85 percent and AstraZeneca, which has not been approved for use in the United Sates, is 60 percent effective. This is a phenomenal rate of success.  Last August, Dr. Fauci said that a efficacy rate of 50 to 60 percent for a vaccine would be acceptable. 

Now that that the supply of effective vaccines is greater than the demand and people can receive the vaccine without a wait, incentives for people have appeared. The question that undoubtedly is going through many people’s minds is “Are incentives to receive vaccination fair to those of us who have already been vaccination?” 

On a personal note I received two doses of the Moderna vaccine in April. Besides being a bit under the weather after my second vaccine, I am thrilled that I’m offered the protection of the Moderna vaccine. But when I see others receive financial benefits from being vaccinated there is a part of me that wonders, “Is this fair? Is it just? What are the ethics of vaccination?” 

The financial rewards for vaccination are enticing. In Ohio people who are vaccinated are entered into a lottery where a person can win one of five million-dollar prizes. California is giving 116.5 million in incentives to people who have been vaccinated. In Minnesota anyone vaccinated between June 5 and June 30 can be among 100,000 winners who win one of nine different prizes. 

In some states anyone vaccinated can win a prize; in other states, like Minnesota, only people who have not been vaccinated can win a prize.

 A reasonable ethical question to ask is “Is it fair to people who have already received a vaccination to offer prizes to people who have waited?” 

This situation of offering financial incentives to people who have not been vaccinated is similar to the situation that Jesus presented in a parable called, “The Laborers in the Vineyard.” (Matthew 20:1-16). The story goes like this. A landowner hired laborers to work in his vineyard for a daily wage.  Later in the morning he saw others standing idle and told them he would pay them to work in the vineyard. He found others at noon and three o’clock and five o’clock and asked them to work.  At the end of the day everyone received the same wage. The people who had worked the most were not happy. Jesus replied to the grumblers by saying, “Friend, I am doing you no wrong; did you not agree with me for the usual daily wage? Take what belongs to you and go.” At the end of the story he shared this clincher, “Or are you envious because I am generous?” 

The current story of incentivizing of vaccination for people who could have been vaccinated before is not an exact fit to this parable. The people who worked at five in the afternoon did not know at nine in the morning about the opportunity to work. Everyone who waited to be vaccinated knew about the possibility of vaccination. And some have waited for good reasons—they had personal health reasons that prevented them from getting vaccinated or they had concerns that the vaccine had received emergency approval and had not gone through a complete vetting process. 

But the parallels between the story of the Laborer in the Vineyard and offering financial incentives for vaccination are strong. 

Is it right for those of us who got vaccinated early to be envious of those who have waited and can now receive financial reward? 

It would be beyond the purpose of this blog to look at ethical theories and then apply them to the benefits of vaccination. An excellent primer on four ethical theories is here: https://saylordotorg.github.io/text_introduction-to-the-law-of-property-estate-planning-and-insurance/s05-02-major-ethical-perspectives.html 

But asking the question of what is fair and just regarding vaccination is appropriate. I would love having a drink (for me it would be non-alcholic) and talking late into the night about how these ethical theories apply to financial incentives for vaccination. 

The main ethical principles that I apply to my own life and teach others is the second part of the Great Commandment—the command of Jesus to love our neighbors as we love ourselves. 

When I got vaccinated in early April I did it as an act of loving myself. My motivation for getting vaccinated was similar to almost everyone else who got a shot.  I didn’t want to get COVID-19. Even though the government authorized both Pfizer and Moderna on an emergency basis, I was willing to say that the risk of getting COVID outweighed the risk of potential side effects from taking the vaccine.  

My individual act of getting vaccinated was also a reflection of how I can love my neighbor.  Experts have now shared that people who are vaccinated won’t pass on COVID-19 to others. Until I was vaccinated I was a threat to unknowingly passing on this potentially deadly disease. I am benefitting you or loving you by receiving the vaccine. 

I would encourage anyone who hasn’t received a vaccine to think of getting vaccinated as a way to love your neighbors. 

I believe that if Jesus came back and was applying his command to vaccination he would encourage people to receive the vaccine. Getting vaccinated is a tangible way to love our neighbor as we love ourselves. 

But how about financial incentives? What do I believe that Jesus would say about this? 

I think he would point out to those of us who didn’t receive any financial incentive for being vaccination that we should be happy for those who are getting vaccinated.  What does it matter to us that someone else receives money to get vaccinated? Like the people who worked early in the morning in the parable and received a fair wage, those of us who have been vaccinated received what we wanted. Does it make a difference that those late in the game are now rewarded for waiting? 

I think Jesus would also point out that it’s in everyone’s interest for someone to get vaccinated. In fact every time someone is vaccinated, everyone benefits. Every person who receives vaccine leads our world closer to her immunity. The world will be a better place when each of us can go to concerts and ball games can be offered at full capacity. Schools will be able to more effective when the threat of COVID-19 is lessened.  As a pastor I am looking forward to when people will not let the threat of COVID-19 prevent them from coming to worship.  

It’s also worth knowing that each of us received a FREE vaccination. Someone else bore the cost of us receiving a shot.  Someone paid the researchers to do their work; someone paid the medical professionals to provide a space where the shots can be safely put into our arms. 

Does it bother me that people who waited to get vaccinated now can be compensated financially to get a shot? No. Why? Because I want my neighbor to do well. Letting go of any possible resentment is a way I can love my neighbor. Plus I benefit when others are vaccinated. The benefits I receive far outweigh any cost.  Even if I went to work early in the morning, Jesus would most likely tell me to get over myself and rejoice that others are benefiting too. 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So brave