Wednesday, May 29, 2024

Building relatioships

 

Last night I had the opportunity to speak at an open forum at the Lino Lakes City Council meeting about the Medinah Lakes Development on 325 Main Street. The comments I made represent my own views and not the views of Chain of Lakes Church, though many people from Chain of Lakes would support the views I’m sharing. 

The community of Lino Lakes has been embroiled in this issue for the past few months. The City Council chambers were packed with people last night carrying signs representing each side of the issue. The entire hearing can be viewed here: North Metro TV. I spoke at the four minute mark for three minutes. 

I am in favor of growth for communities. I lived in Rochester for nine years when the community experienced significant population growth. I’ve lived in Blaine for the past 15 years. The community looks vastly different today in 2024 compared to when my family moved here in 2009. I am very happy for all the new residences in Blaine. I can literally see them from my office. Growth adds quite a lot to the community—more perspectives, often more diversity, more restaurants and recreational opportunities. Growth has to be managed, and I think the city of Blaine has done a terrific job at it. 

I have a deep place in my heart for the city and people of Lino Lakes. Chain of Lakes Church started in Lino Lakes. Our first offices and worship location were there. My wife, Amy, has worked for the past fifteen years at the Administrator of St. Joesph’s of the Lakes Catholic Church in Lino Lakes. Both of us have friends who live there and many people attend Chain of Lakes who live in Lino Lakes. 

Some people carried “Slow the growth” signs to the meeting last night. I didn’t have the opportunity to talk to anyone who carried a sign as I had to leave the City Council meeting shortly after I spoke to attend two meetings last night at Chain of Lakes. I’ll listen to the video to hear more perspectives as I am very interested in understanding the opposition to this development. 

It’s important to note that population growth is not new to Lino Lakes. The population of the Lino Lakes has almost doubled since the 2000 census. Many new housing developments have happened in Lino Lakes in the past 24 years. If Blaine can experience growth in a healthy way, I see no reason that the same cannot happen in Lino Lakes. 

Part of the Medinah Lakes Development is the building of an Islamic Center. I am very much in favor of this. I’m excited for the people of Lino Lakes that they have the opportunity to have an Islamic Center in their community. The congregation I serve has developed a mutually beneficial relationship with the Blaine Islamic Center. We’ve had people from the Blaine Islamic Center speak for our congregation. Many from Chain of Lakes attended an Iftar that the Blaine Islamic Center held in March at the conclusion of Ramadan. I have personal friends who attend the Blaine Islamic Center. My life is much richer because of these relationships. Having these friendships allows me to resist the negative cultural stereotypes that are often attached to Muslims. 

No matter what opinions a person has about the Medinah Lakes Development, I hope everyone can agree that relationships with people from a different religious perspective are important. I encourage people from Chain of Lakes to find ways to have coffee or lunch with someone from the Muslim community. I would hope everyone reading this blog who is not Muslim would do the same. 

Father Mike Anderson, priest at St. Joseph’s of the Lakes, spoke right after me. He spoke against religious discrimination of all kinds as he has experienced it himself. As religious leaders we know the resistance to religious communities. Our congregation experienced initial resistance from the neighbors who live near the property of our building about the purchase of our property. I stood in front of a public hearing myself and received significant negative feedback about the purchase of property that Chain of Lakes was proposing. I understand what it's like to be a lightning rod! The people of Chain of Lakes reached out to the neighbors and have developed a strong relationship with the neighborhood that continues to this day. 

It's not surprising that people disagree about a new housing development that will bring population growth to a community. I can accept that disagreement.

I am very concerned about the perception that this development is being resisted because of the possibility that many Muslims will live there.  I would feel much more comfortable about this issue if those opposing the growth would clearly say, "I am against religious discrimination."  How about adding that statement to your signs? I just assume that everyone believes that religious discrimination has no place in our community. However this assumption is in question right now. Right now the onus is on the people who are against this development to state clearly that they are against religious discrimination. Prove to the community in your words and actions that this is the case. 

I think the intensity of this issue would diminish if everyone--no matter what their view about the Medinah Lakes Development--would agree that religious discrimination has no place in our community.

I have another question for those opposing the growth. If you don't want an Islamic Center in the Medinah Lakes Development, then propose another place in Lino Lakes for this religious place of worship. And the location would have to work for the Muslim community. Where would it be?

I would not have spoken this past Tuesday night if the issue was about a new development. 

My hope is the emotions of this issue can be decreased as a reasonable solution is found. In my mind a reasonable solution is built on relationships and friendships. Perhaps this issue can prompt all of us to go out of our way to build these friendships.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Pastor Paul for speaking out about this. I have appreciated learning more about other religions at Chain of Lakes Church. It is good for people to find a pathway to God and one another.

Anonymous said...

I whole heartedly agree with Pastor Paul and this person. Gloria Ivers