Monday, September 17, 2018

Changing the narrative on Carleton football


On Saturday I took the trek to Laird stadium to watch the 99th football game between Carleton and St. Olaf. Having played football at Carleton and competed four times against the Oles this game means something to me. One of the highlights of my football career was holding up the goat trophy after our team thrashed St. Olaf 35-7. That was the famous medallion game. Coach Bob Sullivan challenged the team the year before the game to carry a medallion with the date 10-19-85 for a year. I carried it all year, I wore it during the game, and carried it in my billfold for years afterwards.

This past spring Carleton hired Tom Journell as the new football coach. I’m excited about the hire. He was the head coach at University of Wisconsin Stevens-Point for six seasons. He understands what it is like to coach a Division III team in a rugged conference. I had the opportunity to meet him at a gathering shortly after he was hired. It was obvious to me that he “gets” what it is like to play football at Carleton. He admires Carleton for the outstanding academic institution that it is, and he believes that Carleton can have a winning program.

Carleton needs an infusion of hope in football. The records for the last twenty years are dismal.  Carleton has won five games in the MIAC only once in that time; the Knights have won one or fewer games in the conference fifteen times; St. Olaf has beaten Carleton in football nineteen of the past twenty two years. As an alumni and a fan I’ve witnessed many of those beatings in person.

I discovered at 10 am on Saturday that the starting time for the game had been changed from 1 pm to 11 am. Teams can change the game according to a MIAC rule to protect the health of the players. Given the heat and humidity on Saturday this was a good idea. I only wish that I had known about the change.

I quickly got myself together and made it to Laird Stadium. I listened on my car radio as Carleton scored the first touchdown and yelled my pleasure. I arrived at the end of the first quarter with the score tied 7-7.

The weather was so hot and the sun was so bright that many people watched the game by standing in the trees on the perimeter to the stadium. I couldn’t see myself standing the entire game, so I trekked up the steps to sit in the stadium. I enjoy sitting at the top of the stadium and seeing the entire field.  This was probably the hottest game I ever remember watching at Laird Stadium.

St. Olaf was the better team on Saturday and won 33-21. Carleton has an excellent passing game, but four interceptions sealed our fate. The Knight defense wasn’t able to stop St. Olaf, the team on “the other side of the river” only punted twice.

I have hope that Journell can turn the program around. As a passionate alumni I’m willing to help. I’m naïve enough to believe that Carleton can consistently finish in the top five of the MIAC. However the administration at Carleton has to help. Carleton has a competent football coach who is committed to the ideals of Carleton. My hope is the administration at Carleton will provide the resources to help him win.

It’s not fair to the players to field a program that has won one conference game in fifteen of the last twenty years. Right now is an opportunity to change the narrative on Carleton football.

1 comment:

David Cade said...

Thank you for the post! I was at the game as well. I thought they played very well. The interceptions were unfortunate-- without them the Knights would (could) have won. Seemed like more Ole students in attendance than Carls; hopefully they will return soon! Carleton does seem to be more competitive in other sports in the MIAC. I do tire of the Bethels, Johnnies and Tommies and their way of playing, and recruiting football players, however.