Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Would you take the CDC pledge?

Hi Friends,

I've taken a break from blogging recently because of the many demands of being a pastor in a COVID world. Hope to get into more of a rhythm again. This post is my re-entry into the blogging world.

I am not into COVID shaming and this post is not intended to have any political overtones. 

The weekend of November 7-8, our daughter, Hannah had COVID. She had symptoms and took a test which was positive. She is fine right now. She has been symptom-free since then and is going back to her housing at Hamline.

I was exposed to her on Tuesday, November 10. I found out that her test for COVID was positive on Wednesday, November 11.  I asked a doctor in my congregation if I needed to quarantine.  He referred me to the Center of Disease Control (CDC) guidelines. I put the link to those guidelines at the end of this blog. 

I have not had any symptoms; I have had two tests which were negative and took a third test yesterday.  I am very confident that I do not have COVID.

However, it doesn't matter whether I think I have COVID or if I even am displaying symptoms.  The CDC guidelines say I need to quarantine.  Because of these guidelines I will quarantine for 14 days--through Tuesday, November 24. The criterion for being under quarantine is not my own opinion. The criteria for being under quarantine are the CDC guidelines.

I hate being under quarantine. And yes, mom, I know that "hate" is a very strong word.  Being under quarantine is a significant hardship for me in my work as a pastor. This past Sunday I preached by using video, and I stayed away from the people whom I love. The last place I wanted to be on Sunday morning was the couch at my home.  If I could have figured out a way to be present in worship, I would have. 

But despite my "hate" of quarantine, I have an even stronger desire not to get anyone sick. And I have an even stronger desire for life to get back to some semblance of normal. So, I am under quarantine.

Believe me, I question rules and regulations more than most people. Give me a rule, and my first thought is to question it. I've questioned the CDC guidelines.  It took me a while before I understood that the virus incubates very slowly. So not having a positive test does not mean the virus is not inside of me. 

It seems to me that until a vaccine is widely implemented that the best response to COVID is to follow the CDC guidelines. 

The COVID crisis presents an opportunity for our world. The opportunity is we can all unite around seeing COVID "defeated."

I'm asking everyone who is reading this blog to take the CDC pledge. The pledge is you will follow the CDC guidelines. Would you do that? If yes, make that pledge in the comments section.

I am a naïve optimist. I actually believe that if the 328.9 million people who live in the United States took the CDC pledge, that the rate of COVID transmission would significantly decrease.

Would you take the CDC pledge? The life of your neighbor might depend on it!

Here are the guidelines that were relevant for my particular situation.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/if-you-are-sick/quarantine.html

 


No comments: