Wednesday, October 4, 2023

Twins win! Twins win! Twins win!

 Yesterday I had the opportunity to go to Target Field to watch the Twins break their eighteen-game playoff losing streak. Wow! 

I decided to go to the game shortly after watching the Twins clinch the division against the Los Angeles Angels on September 22. I wrote a blog about that experience. After watching that game I convinced myself that I wanted to go to a playoff game. I had never been to a playoff game before. I love going to Target Field, so why not? I bit the bullet with purchasing overpriced tickets and invited Hannah’s partner, Carter, and my Dad to join me.

And if you’re wondering about the tickets being overpriced--$131 for a seat in the left field corner? I found out at the game that these seats were being sold for $34 yesterday morning.  Tickets in that same section are being sold for today’s game for $70 a seat. 

I’m not trying to throw cold-water on the experience. The value I received in attending the game far surpassed the cost. 

Before the game the big question was whether Royce Lewis was going to play. He was injured on September 19 in a game against Cincinnati. His personality and baseball skills have led many to believe he is a superstar in the making. His joy in playing the game is contagious. It has to be contagious with other Twins’ players. I remember the joy of Kirby Puckett when he played in the late 1980’s and early 1990s. Royce Lewis has the same “it” that Kirby did. 

Fortunately Royce was able to DH yesterday.

 


We got to our seats early as I wanted to ensure we could find parking and give my Dad enough time to walk to his seat. The ballpark had many empty seats at 2:51. 

But when Pablo Lopez threw his first pitch at 3:40pm, Target Field was almost full.

The fans were immediately into the game. Every two-strike count on a Blue Jay brought us to our feet. Every pitch seemed to sway our enthusiasm. Many fans of the Blue Jays were in attendance. In fact Carter sat next to two Blue Jays’ fans—who were conversational and respectful. The fans were cheering and booing and yelling chants. I can’t say I was in favor of the “USA” chant. I love our country as next to anyone, but I didn’t see this game as a USA versus Canada contest.

I think breaking the Twins’ eighteen-game playoff losing streak captured the fans imagination. We wanted to see a victory. It’s hard to believe that the Twins had bumbled to that many playoff losses in a row. It seems almost comparable to the Vikings’ four Super Bowl losses. And it fit the mantra of a Minnesota Sports’ fan—which I identify myself. Our sports teams let us down in big moments. 

However on occasion someone steps up to break through. This happened when Royce Lewis came to bat in the first inning. Edouard Julien was on base. He blasted a fastball into the left field bleachers. The Twins were ahead. This playoff game seemed different.

 And then in the third inning he came to bat with no one on base. A high, looping fly ball to right center. And AGAIN! Homerun! Carter and I looked at each other for about thirty seconds with a “I can’t believe what I just saw” look on our faces. We were cheering our heads off.

 Without Royce Lewis, I don’t think the Twins would have won. Royce had two hits; the rest of the team had three.  

 The Twins were outstanding in defense and pitching. Michael Taylor had one diving catch, and one leaping catch with two runners on; Carlos Correa made a brilliant throw to home to save a run. The bullpen was rock solid. I questioned why Griffin Jax was pitching in the eighth and when his first pitch turned into a double for Vladimir Guerrero Jr., I was convinced that doom was coming. But he settled down and was superb. Jhoan Duran didn’t even make us sweat much in the ninth.

 Twins win; Twins win; Twins win! 

The walk out of the ballpark was unforgettable. Many fans, including me, were high fiving each other. I’m guessing I shared at least 25 of these celebrations.

I remember the 1987 playoff run of the Twins. We only won 85 games that year. But something special happened in the first round of the playoffs against the Tigers. It was like we captured magic in a bottle. The fans were very loud in the Metrodome and waved their white homer hankeys with joy. This was the feeling yesterday. We were very loud and waving our red homer hankeys with joy.

 Tom Kelly said that momentum in baseball is only as good as your next starting pitcher, so this could all look different in twenty-four hours. 

But yesterday felt like the start of something …

No comments: