Monday, September 11, 2023

Never Forget

 

Today is the 22nd time that we remember the tragedy of 911. And we're called to never forget. That day was a 911 call to our spirits that each of us is still answering. Almost three thousand people were killed that day when hijackers took over four airplanes. Two airplanes were crashed into the Twin Towers in New York City, one was crashed into the Pentagon, and another was crashed into a field in Pennsylvania when the crew took over that plane from hijackers who were planning on crashing it into the White House. 

I will never forget the many different emotions of the day. I’ll remember receiving a call from my wife, Amy, who cried out on the phone that we were being attacked; I’ll remember going over to my pastor friend, Chuck Coggins and telling him that we needed to organize a community-wide worship service; I remember going over to my pastor friend, Father Don Connelly and gingerly telling him that we were going to hold the community-wide worship service in the sanctuary of the Catholic church that he served; I remember watching with those two the collapse of the second tower. As soon as it happened, I remember Chuck Coggins saying, “a lot of people just died.” I remember the beautiful worship service that was held that night in the Catholic church in Plainview. All the pastors from town were asked to speak. We did so from our hearts. 

I will never forget the ultimate sacrifice that 343 firefighters, 72 law enforcement officers and 55 military personnel made that day. 

And I won’t forget the unity that existed in the United States shortly after this horrible event. 

I had the opportunity to live in New York City for three years while I attended seminary. When people came to visit me, I often took them to the World Trade Center. I was at the top of one of the Twin Towers many times. 

My wife, Amy, and I visited New York City after 911 and went to the hallowed grounds where the tragedies happened. I could hardly talk while I was there. 

Last night I watched a show on the National Geographic station about the story of many planes landing almost back-to-back in the tiny town of Gander in Newfoundland. The intelligence of the air traffic controllers and the pilots who worked together to land all those planes safely was amazing. 

The stories of heroism on September 11 are ones that we must keep passing on. I see my daughter, Hannah, and her partner, Carter, and am amazed that they were less than a year old when this tragic day took place. It’s important for me to share the stories of that day with them. 

But I also realize that it’s hard to appreciate the gravity of the day for someone who didn’t experience it. When I was growing up I was often told about Pearl Harbor Day—the day, of course, when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor. Many people were killed on that day—2,403 military personnel and 68 civilians. And I always had respect for that day and respect for what happened. But not being alive on December 7, 1941 made my tribute different. I relate in a different way to September 11 because I was alive and remember the events of the day as they happened. 

An unfortunate reality of the human condition is that violence begets violence. Our country responded by pulling together a coalition that invaded Afghanistan. Ultimately 2,402 military personnel were killed in that war. The United States pulled out of Afghanistan within the past year and shortly afterwards the Taliban regained power. The United States authorized the military raid that killed Osama Bin Lade almost ten years after the 911 attack. The United States invaded Iraq and captured Saddam Hussein in December 13, 2003. He was executed three years later. 

I am a pacificist, so I believe that war is rarely an answer to the problems of our day. 

However on this day it’s important to unite with all of our neighbors to remember what happened and to share the stories of that day with others.     

“If we learn nothing else from this tragedy, we learn that life is short and there is no time for hate.” —Sandy Dahl, wife of Flight 93 pilot Jason Dahl.

 All statistical information in this blog was taken from Wikipedia sites.

No comments: